Daily Abiding with Granny - Grateful for Everything



DAILY ABIDING WITH GRANNY

"Grateful for Everything" 

Philippians 2:14
"Do all things without murmurings and disputings."



Granny has a way of making the most miserable days easier to endure. When Phoebe has had enough of the cold winter and difficult chores, Granny shows her how to look for the blessings in the midst of hard times. 

Sometimes I find myself complaining about things, but I know it's wrong. I try to use Granny's advice and find something to be thankful for in every situation. Here's where Phoebe learns to be thankful - 


"Surviving Winter" 
When the wind blasted from the north, woolen petticoats and stockings and shawls and bonnets still weren’t enough to keep them warm, even in the house. They did all their daily activities huddled close to the kitchen fire.
           Phoebe slammed the shed door as she returned from feeding the chickens. “I hate winter!” She clamped her hand over lips, but not soon enough.
         “Phoebe!” Maseppa paused in stirring the stew. "You not be angry. You not slam door. You not say you hate things."
         “I’m just tired of going to a cold outhouse and thawing snow for water and eating soup everyday. I only got one egg. Even the chickens are freezing cold! I hate winter. I'm tired of being cold.”
         “Shame on you, child!" Granny tisked. “Every time you speak that word, I want you to bring an armload of wood from the shed. Perhaps hard work will teach you to guard your tongue.”
         “Yes, Ma’am.”
Granny plopped in her rocker and closed her eyes. “Line upon line, precept upon precept.’ That is how you learn the ways of the Lord.” She sighed. "‘Tis true that life is harder in the winter, but it is still from the Lord. He gives us difficulties to teach us patience and make us strong.” She creaked back and forth in her rocker. "Instead of murmuring, like the children of Israel in the wilderness, look for things to be thankful for. You can be thankful for strong arms and legs to fetch wood and for a warm fire to cook our food.”
            Phoebe took a deep breath. “I reckon I could be thankful for the soup, even if it does have cabbage in it. It’s better than eating hay like a cow!”
              “That’s the spirit! Now what else can we be thankful for?”
             “I’m thankful for Cinnamon and Shadow, because they are soft!”
              “I will be thankful for the sheep who give their wool to keep me busy,” added Granny.
              “I’m thankful for you and Maseppa and Zeke.”
                “I’m thankful, too, for you and Maseppa ‘biding with me this winter.”
               Maseppa hadn’t been playing the game with them, but looked up at the sound of her name. It be good to be here with Granny. She teach Phoebe many things. She teach me many things, too.
             “I’m thankful for fresh cream,” continued Granny. “Even if it’s not very much. Maseppa, if you fetch me a bowl of fluffy snow, I’ll show you how to make a nice treat.” 

 Join me here as we study Granny's ability to live her life, daily abiding in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Love and Prayers,
Yvonne                 


If you haven't read A Home for Phoebe yet, 
you can order it on Amazon
or you can contact me for a signed copy.




Also, the sequel Going Home with Phoebe is now available.
You can order it on (Amazon)    
or you can contact me for a signed copy.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails