A2Z - My Favorite R



My Randy

I am a firm believer in God bringing two people together. God brought Randy Blake and me together, and I'm so happy He did.

Looking back, I can see how God was working in our lives. Both of us accepted God's gift of salvation the very same year, but we were thousands of miles apart. I was only 6 years old and living in the Bahamas. I asked Jesus to forgive my sins in the bottom bunk of our house in Devils Point on Cat Island.



Randy was 10 years old. Some neighbors invited him to "G'noose Club" (Good News Club). There he heard the Gospel and gave his heart to the Lord.



My family started moving north, first to upstate New York, then to Maine. Randy and I attended different churches when we met, and at the time, we were dating other people. (Interesting note: I liked someone named Andy, and he was going with a girl named Elaine. I wonder if God was even pointing us in the direction of names that sounded similar?)

When my Randy invited me to that basketball game in 1975, I was surprised that he, (now a man) would notice me (still in high school). I was impressed with how he stood firm on his convictions when another passenger in the car tried to change the music on the radio. He treated me like a queen by helping me with my coat and opening doors. He even ended the evening by kissing the back of my hand. It was then I knew this was the guy I wanted to marry. (He later told me that he had known long before then.)



Randy is my anchor. Where my life consisted of floating about, he has roots so deep in Maine, in Searsport, in his family, in his church, in his Savior, that only God could move him. I needed that.

God prepared me for Randy by having me grow up with a basic lifestyle (outhouse and woodstove) and also letting me fall in love with a big family in Canaan, Maine. God knew I would live in a homey, rustic house full of children. Even though we never had anything fancy, we had lots of love and fun and good memories.



Randy has always been so romantic-giving me flowers just when I needed to know he cared, the perfect card to make me laugh or cry, the special surprise to make me catch my breath, even the little things (like chocolate in the freezer) to make me feel special.



His latest "wow thing" was driving 17 hours in one day to surprise me at my writer's conference. (He looked so handsome to me!)



Yes, we've had our hard times, when life seemed to try its best to knock us down, but those times made us stronger as we clung to each other for support. My Randy is a loving husband, a caring father, and a super grandfather.I look forward to growing old with my Randy, my love.



Ordinary Lives. From a 2 z 4 u & me


Visit Ordinary Lives for more A@Z entries.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet!

Sunny

Barbara Lynn Culler said...

Oh what a sweet love story! You are very blessed. Thanks for sharing a bit of your life!

The Altered Bee said...

It is so cool to look back and see God's guiding hand in our lives.

Joanne Sher said...

What a wonderful wonderful post about a wonderful man. LOVE to hear about how God brings folks together. Thanks for sharing, sweet Vonnie!

Shelley Ledfors said...

Awww, what a sweet tribute to your loving hubby! I really enjoyed reading this!

Patty Wysong said...

Love it, Vonnie!
Yanno, when Randy showed up at conf last month, it didn't even register he was supposed to be home. LoL And I KNEW you rode with Sunny. Aren't husbands great?!?! =]

Rita Garcia said...

Vonnie, thanks for sharing your Randy with us! What a super man and husband! Joe and I just celebrated 39 fabulous years, it keeps getting better and better!

Marji Laine - Faith Driven Fiction said...

Thanks for sharing your heart with us!

Pencildancers said...

What a great story! I'm so happy you found such a wonderful man.
Diana
www.pencildancer.com

Laury said...

Sooo very sweet! :) I'll finish the story for you. and they lived happily ever after....

Niki Turner said...

What a precious testimony of God's plan for our lives. He's always working behind the scenes!
Ditto on Laury's comment... happily ever after!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails