A Highlights Highlight!


(a carving at the Highlights' Office)


On my way back to Maine from the Faithwriters' Conference in Michigan, I realized that my husband and I would be passing close to Honesdale, Pennsylvania. It is the place where I send submissions to the Highlights Magazine. I contacted their office and was invited to visit.



Kathleen Hayes, the editor of High Five (a new magazine for 2-6yr. olds) gave us the royal tour of their office-a very interesting old building (History of Highlights) and introduced me to the staff. They answered my many questions and asked me about my writing, too.



We saw one of the first issues,
published in 1946.



Highlights has come a long way
in the last 60 years.



They have a variety of puzzle magazines
for those who like -
Hidden Pictures
Puzzlesmania
Mathmania
Which Way USA


Highlights is online, too!



With features for
Parents and Teachers

and interactive games for kids.
Highlights Kids




Here is a fun MadLib-type of game -
Story Twisters

They even have their High Five magazine
in audio form,
so the kids can hear the words
as they follow along.



Listen to my action poem "The Bullfrog"
HERE



Highlights has been a big part of the education of America's children. Now they are even reaching other lands as their magazines are being published in other languages.

I'm excited to be part of their team.

2 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

Soooo cool, Vonnie!

Sharon - inspiring stories said...

I used to love Highlights when I was a kid and I had forgotten all about it. I'm sure my 5 year old grandson would love it. Thanks for the reminder!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails