Never Abandoned Like an Orphan



I invite you to join me in learning John 14. Each week I plan to learn a new verse. I will "recite" what I have learned before and give a short study of the next verse. You may email your "recitation" to me or put it as a comment below the post. I am using the KJV. If you use another, please let me know. I am starting the second half of this chapter, starting with verse 13. I will learn this block of verses and then attempt to recite the whole chapter later.

(without looking at my Bible)
John 14:13-17
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14. If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.
15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16. And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever.
17. Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive because it knoweth Him not, neither seeth Him; but ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you and shall be in you.

CORRECTIONS
(looked 5 times, vs.13- the Father, vs. 17- "knoweth - seeth" )





NEW VERSE
John 14:18
"I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you."

The word "comfortless" has the meaning of being abandoned as an orphan.

There are hundreds, thousands of children abandoned in the world today. They are lonely and lost. They are hungry and cold. Most of us can not even imagine what that must feel like.

When a child is young, he doesn't like his mother to be out of his sight. Telling him that she will be back in a few minutes doesn't mean a thing. All he knows is that she is gone. Who knows when she'll ever come back?
He feels abandoned and frightened.

Jesus didn't want his disciples to feel abandoned. He promised that even though He was leaving them, He would send His Spirit to be with them until He returned.

Do you feel like God has abandoned you? If you are His child, He is in you and will never ever leave you. He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." We can be comforted that He loves us and cares for us. He will return for us someday.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails