Bahama Tales - Visitors



While we were on Cat Island, we had various people visit us there. Today, there are more tourist spots, but back then, my uncle's house was the most modern thing around. To us children, it was funny to watch the pale skinned visitors try to cope with the mosquitoes, the outhouse, and different foods.

Occasionally, we (speaking of my uncle's family and our family collectively) would have relatives or friends from the States as guests. I remember my Aunt Lois, missionary to the Philippines, and Grammy and Grandaddy, from Arizona, being there a few times. Lin Wright, an airplane pilot from Texas, often came to visit with his daughters about my age. I'm sure there were many others, but the ones that stand out in my mind were some young women who came to help out for a short time.



Linda Derks, from Florida, lived with us in the clinic for awhile. She told me about her home and stretched my knowledge of life beyond the Islands. Linda had very fine blond hair and wore a wig to church, the chapel next to Uncle Roy's house. Well, one Sunday (when my father was away on a trip) we returned to the clinic to find a crazy lady peering in our kitchen window.(We were a curiosity to the Bahamians, and this was rather common.) This woman wouldn't go away, so my mother got the idea to scare her away. Mama went in the kitchen and took out her partial teeth. Linda went in and took off her wig. It didn't work. The woman's eyes got really big, but I think it made even more curious. (Most people could be reasoned with, but I this woman was not all there in the head.)

I remember two other young women, Reenie (sp?) and Jeanie, who came for a week or so to teach Bible clubs. I found one writing in a little book about the things she did each day. It was my first exposure to a daily diary. I also think one played a guitar. I can still remember a song they taught us.

I'll Never Turn Back Anymore
When I remember how the Lord saved me,
I'll never turn back anymore.
When I remember that He set me free,
I'll never turn back anymore.

(chorus) (alternate voice in italics)
No-o, no, No-o, no, No, no, No, no, No-o, no, no
I'll never turn back anymore.
No-o, no, No-o, no, No, no, No, no, No-o, no, no
I'll never turn back anymore.

When I remember how He saved my soul,
I'll never turn back anymore.
When I remember that He made me whole,
I'll never turn back anymore.
(chorus)

Life was never boring on Cat Island.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails