Touching Baby Jesus

I love the Charlie Brown Christmas Special, especially when Linus quotes from Luke.




"There were in the same country
shepherds abiding in the fields
keeping watch over their flocks by night,
and Lo...
the angel of the Lord came upon them,
and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them,
"Fear not,
for, behold,
I bring you good tidings of great joy,
which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day
in the city of David a Saviour,
which is Christ the Lord."

"That's what Christmas is all about,
Charlie Brown."

At our house we have two manger scenes.
One is a ceramic set which I painted soon after we were married. The donkey is gray, the shepherds are rough, and the wisemen's robes and gifts are elegant. (yes, I know the wisemen weren't at the manger)It is kept high on a shelf away from the activities of the home.



The other is made of pink and orange and green plastic and has been handled by many little hands. Some of the figures are missing hands or a staff, but they are loved. When our children were young, my husband would read the Christmas story and let the children "act" with the figures. Joseph and Mary "rode" the donkey to Bethlehem. The shepherd brought their sheep to the stable. The wise men were marched from far away in the kitchen to come worship the baby Jesus.



I have both sets displayed again this year. I want my grandchildren to know and touch the baby Jesus. I want them to know what Christmas is all about.

(go to Lynette's blog Dancing Barefoot to see more Christmas decoration pictures.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your 2 Nativity scenes. The Charlie Brown Christmas special is my favorite because it quotes Scripture word for word. Thanks.
Sunny

Anonymous said...

My mom has the SAME Nativity scene as the first one you have pictured! That is so funny! I think she or my grandmother painted it in a ceramics class she took. So funny! I recognized it right away!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails