Saying "Yes, Lord"


I just returned from my son's graduation from Basic Training. It does a mother's heart good to see her little boy transformed into a man in a soldier's uniform.

 As I watched them fall into formation and receive instructions from their drill sergeant, I thought of how I should obey my Leader, Jesus Christ, without hesitation. I should say, "Yes, Sir!"

 I listened to the Soldier's Creed -

 I am an American Soldier. 
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. 
I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values. 
I will always put the mission first. 
I will never accept defeat. 
I will never quit.
 I will never leave a fallen comrade.
 I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, 
trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
 I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself. 
I am an expert and I am a professional. 
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy 
the enemies of the United States of America in close combat. 
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life. 
I am an American soldier. 

 I thought, I should be as dedicated to my Lord. I should be ready to stand for Him, even to the death. I should put Him first. I should lift those who are fallen. I should keep myself trained and disciplined. I should always guard the truth. I am a soldier for my Lord.


When I saw my son obeying whatever his drill sergeant commanded, I thought of these lines of the poem, "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Alfred Lord Tennyson.

 " Theirs not to make reply, 
 Theirs not to reason why, 
 Theirs but to do and die . . . "


Applying it to my Christian life, I thought, 'Yes, that's how I should obey my Lord.' I should not question what my Lord asks me to do. I should obey whatever He asks me to do, for I trust Him with my life.

I need to be able to say "Yes, Lord."

3 comments:

Rita Garcia said...

A great analogy and wonderful thoughts to start out this Monday morning with! Yes, Lord!! Hugs!

Soulwinnersr.us said...

Good words. I think of the many soldiers that put their lives on the line. Some never return and have the chance to have families and/or have careers. They show what it's like to sacrifice for a cause worth fighting for. Would that I would be so committed.

Yvonne Blake said...

Yes, that's how I felt as they honored the veterans at the graduation. Then I had an overwhelming pride in my son for joining them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails