N is for . . . Necks


. . . Giraffe Necks!



Anyone that knows me, knows that I love giraffes.

When I was about 10 years old, our family visited the Catskill Game Farm. It was the first, and only, time I saw a giraffe in "person." I actually touched one! Well . . . I touched his knee by reaching my arm through the fence. From that day on, I have loved giraffes.


Why my fascination with these long-necked creatures?
I don't know.

Maybe it's because they are what I secretly wish I was. I love their long elegant legs and necks, their graceful strides, and their cool and calm attitudes.



Here are some interesting giraffe facts:

1. Giraffes were thought to be mute, but they make sounds unable to be heard by humans.
2. Giraffes have prehensile tongues - meaning they can wrap it around branches like a hand.
3. Giraffes run up to 35 mph - also with both the front and hind together on each side - rather than alternating.
4. Giraffes give birth standing up - dropping their calves 6 ft. to the ground.
5. Giraffes only sleep about 2 hours each day.

I know I'm stretching out my NECK
to use this for the letter N in our A2Z meme,
but I couldn't think of anything else.
For more fun posts, go to Peej's Blog

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

When I saw the title, I was like "what??" But I LOVE the post. And you HAVE TO go to the Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, MI. You get to see and touch the giraffes at eye-level. AMAZING stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails