U is for Umbrella


Some parts of the world have a lot of rain, like London or Seattle or anywhere in the tropics, during the rainy season.



Maine doesn't get a lot of rain, but when we do, it's nice to have an umbrella around. We have one in the trunk - which we forget is there until we're already in the church or store and we'd have to go back out in the rain to get it. Most of the time, we don't bother. We just run through the raindrops.




Of course, that brings Gene Kelley's
famous song and dance to mind.



...which brings this video clip to mind,
Mister Rogers visiting a dance studio.









When I was 6 years old, my parents bought me and my cousin matching umbrellas for Christmas. We lived in the Bahamas, and it wasn't rainy right then, but my cousin and I couldn't wait to use them. So we paraded through the settlement with our "parasols" over our shoulders. The Bahamians thought we were silly, but we didn't care.


My favorite umbrella memory is of this little boy. We took him and his sister (and their parents) to Storyland, an amusement park for kids. It was a drizzly day, and Gabriel claimed the red umbrella.






He carried it everywhere...
even through all the puddles.








Sometimes, it's not how dry an umbrella keeps you,
it's how cozy and cute you feel beneath it.



Ordinary Lives. From a 2 z 4 u & me

9 comments:

Barbara Lynn Culler said...

Cute post! Part of it was covered with a white square and it read "Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration." It might have been after I tried to see if that was a video of the unbrella dance.

I love the painting of the butlers holding unbrellas over a couple dancing on the beach!

Yvonne Blake said...

That's strange... I don't see the white box.

Joanne Sher said...

Delightful post, Vonnie! I rarely use an umbrella. LOVE to walk in the rain. Andrew, though, sometimes asks like he's allergic to water LOL.

Rita Garcia said...

Lovely post! I love the rain and walking in it is SO refreshing!

Marji Laine - Faith Driven Fiction said...

Too precious! Love the pic of him walking through the puddles!.

Laury said...

Seems like umbrellas go with wind and they poof up. I'd rather go without and take my chances of melting:) haha! :)

Love the pictures of Gabriel. So sweet!

Shelley Ledfors said...

Awww, very cute post! I can just picture you and your cousin with your matching umbrellas / "parasols"! I wrote about umbrellas, too. Just shows great minds think alike! ;-)

Niki Turner said...

I just read a cute quote this morning, "It's not what's falling on your umbrella, but who you're sharing the umbrella with." Cute!
I want a plaid umbrella!

Sparrow said...

Here in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time we actually don't use umbrellas. In fact, we have a saying, "Umbrellas are for wimps and tourists." hehe They are acceptable while watching a parade or sometimes over business clothes.

But I remember purple parasols my sisters had with their names stenciled on. We loved playing with those.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails