Monday Manna - "Broken and Contrite"

 

Today's Monday Manna is a devotional on this verse:

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart;      

and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. (Psalm 34:18 KJV)

As a mother and a teacher, I've had my share of confronting children with their sin....tattling, lying, stealing, cheating, laziness, etc.  The child will often say, "I'm sorry, really, I'm sorry."  When I see the panicky look in their eyes and hear the desperate tone in their voice, I know they are just trying to get out of a punishment. They're probably not really sorry.

But, when I see tears in those eyes and head hung low, there is no need for the words. Their heart is broken and miserable. They know they deserve to be punished. My heart goes out to them, and I wrap my arms around them in forgiveness.

As a parent or teacher, I must try to judge the child's honesty. Sometimes, he can fool me by appearing sorry, but God knows our thoughts and feelings. He knows if we are truly sorry.
We cannot fool Him.



This verse says that God saves those of a broken and contrite heart. He hates pride and arrogance. We must realize we are lost in sin, before we can be saved. Just like a child must see his rebellion, we must see ourselves as sinners. We must see the sin through God's eyes.

God is quick to forgive. He pours His soothing balm of comfort over our hearts and cradles us in His loving arms. What a wonderful feeling of freedom in forgiveness! As a child, we can skip through the rest of the day, knowing all is well between us and our Heavenly Father.

For more great devotionals, head over to Joanne Sher's blog
An Open Book. Twice a month, she hosts Monday Manna, a gathering of thoughts about God's Word.

4 comments:

Lynda Schultz said...

How lovely, Vonnie. A wonderful reminder.

Wanda said...

Hi Vonnie,

I found your blog via Joanne at Open Door. I enjoyed reading your devotional. I'm so glad for God's forgiveness!

Joanne Sher said...

Lovely reminder. There is little God loves more than a repentant spirit. It is a blessing to see it in children, or anyone. Thanks for participating!

Joanney said...

I loved the analogy of judging a child's true heart. That is all God sees when we confess and worship. Great devotional and a much needed reminder. Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails