Power in God



I invite you to join me in learning John 14. Each week I plan to learn a new verse. I will "recite" what I have learned before and give a short study of the next verse. You may email your "recitation" to me or put it as a comment below the post. I am using the KJV. If you use another, please let me know.

(without looking at my Bible)
John 14:1-11

1. "Let not your heart be troubled,
ye believe in God, believe also in Me.
2. In my Father's house are many mansions;
if it were not so I would have told you;
I go to prepare a place for you.
3. And if I go to prepare a place for you,
I will come again and receive you unto myself,
that where I am, there ye may be also.
4. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
5. Thomas saith unto him, 'Lord, we know not whither
thou goest, and how can we know the way?'
6. Jesus saith unto him, 'I am the way, the truth,
and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.
7. If ye had known me, ye should have known the Father;
from henceforth ye have known him and seen him.'
8. Philip saith unto him, 'Show us the Father
and it sufficeth us.'
9. Jesus saith unto him, 'Have I been so long with you,
Philip, and yet thou hast not known me? He that hath seen
me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou,
'Show us the Father?'
10. Believest thou not that I am in the Father and the
Father in me? The words that I speak, I speak not of myself
but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me,
or else believe me for the works' sake."

CORRECTIONS: (looked 5 times, vs.7 "my", "know"; vs.8 "Lord"; "Philip" wrong place; vs.10 "unto you"; vs.11 "very")



NEW VERSE
John 14:12
"Verily, verily, I say unto you,
he that believeth on me,
the works that I do he shall do also;
and greater works than these shall he do;
because I go unto my Father."

Did that say what I thought it said?

Read it again.
"greater works than these shall he do"

Wow!
How can we do great works than Jesus?

The people of this world seek power. They want to be able to control money and business and governments. They even want to control the environment. Writers and cartoonists create stories of people with super-powers. Spiritualists grow in number everyday.

Why?
Because they want power.

This verse tells of great power, but it's God's power. We can't do great things of ourselves. We can't perform miracles. Only God can do that.

Jesus promised to send His Spirit, who would work through those who believe. We need to be "invisible Christians", so that others only see Him and His works.

Here are some great words to a hymn-
Teach Me to Pray, Lord

"Living in me, Lord, and Thou in me;
Constant abiding, this is my plea;
Grant me Thy power, boundless and free,
Power with men and power in Thee."

(words by Albert S. Rietz)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails