WHY WRITERS ARE SO STRANGE!

Just for a little Monday fun, here's a series of “writer personality” questions. Copy, paste, and answer these questions to introduce us to the type of writer you are. :)

First of all, for all you non-writers:



WARNING!

If a writer is engaged in the writing process (eyes transfixed on computer, storyboard, or notebook), please do not approach him/her and attempt to conduct a conversation. The writer cannot hear or understand what you are saying. Even if the writer appears to nod or mumble an affirmation, it is highly unlikely they have comprehended anything and may not even remember the conversation at a later time.
You can attempt to break the writer’s attention away from their work, but this is not recommended as the writer may become confused, disoriented, or agitated. It is best to leave the writer alone until he/she voluntarily walks away.





WRITER QUESTIONS

Do you have a pen/pencil collection?
How many of those are chewed?

I don't have a pen or pencil collection, but I do have a Curious George jelly glass for a pencil holder. I prefer mechanical pencils, if I use one. I also have a few red teacher pens hanging around, even after being out of teaching for two years.
I used to chew my pencils when I was in school...but not anymore. YUCK!

Do you prefer handwriting or typing furiously?
Since I discovered "cut 'n paste" and "delete", I don't like like handwriting anymore, although I always carry a notebook with me. (especially when I'm traveling or when we go camping)

How often do you get inspiration?
Usually every two or three days, and especially over the weekends...when I'm too busy to sit and write.

Are you blogging this on a computer or laptop?
Laptop! I love my Essie, my e-machine!

Do you get inspiration more in the morning or late at night?
My inspiration time is usually about fifteen minutes after I go to bed. If I'm puzzling over something as I go to sleep, my mind will continue working on it and sometimes even wake me when it comes up with a good idea. For some reason, sitting in church, listening to the sermon, seems to be another great time for my muse to get active. I have lots of little bits of paper stuck in the front of my Bible with ideas on them.

Do certain movies/books/music inspire you?
I prefer the house to be quiet. Too much distraction hinders my thoughts.

How do you incorporate God into your stories?
God is in my writing, no matter if I use actually Scripture or not. I've heard that a person can be a Christian who writes, whether or not they produce Christian writing. (meaning- Whether our writing are devotionals or news reports, our faith should govern our words that we write.)

How evil are your villains?
I have trouble developing villains. They are usually people that my character fears, or maybe someone who persuades them to do something wrong.

Do you kill off your villains or make them repent?
My villians usually just fade into the past as the main character learns to stand up to them or move beyond being troubled by them.

Are the majority of your characters magical beings, humans, or halflings?
Human. I don't write any fantasy.

Do you write mostly poetry, stories, novels or a mixture?
I love poetry...and short stories...and children's literature. On my blog, I have devotionals, memoirs, parenting tips, and occasionally a recipe, craft, or a song. I'm quite diversified!

What genre of writing are you most comfortable in?
My novel is middle-grade historical. I'm definitely not a news journalist. I think I'm most comfortable in children's stories.

Do you work better alone or with someone else?
I haven't collaborated on anything, yet, but I think it would be hard, unless it was a collection of stories...or each person had their own mini-plot.

Are your characters mostly Renegades, Peacekeepers or a mish-mash of personalities?
My main characters are usually curious and industrious. I'd say they are not quite rebellious, but not afraid to try something new. A good story has a variety of characters. You need the rebel and the peacekeeper, the shy one and the bully, the follower and the leader.

Do your stories make sense, or do they ramble wildly?
I hope they make sense.

Are you a sucker for good grammar?
Definitely! Since teaching English for twelve years, bad grammar just grates against my nerves. On the Christian Writers Forum, I'm called the Grammar Grammy.

How is your handwriting?
I like to think my handwriting is good. Now that I'm not practicing it before my students everyday, it has gotten sloppier. I tend to combine print and cursive, blending my letters together.

Are you long-winded or succinct?
I'm not long-winded. I find myself having to stretch my thoughts rather than cut them short, although I'm getting better at adding more sub-plots, which helps!

Do you have typical writer traits such as ink stains on your fingers or a pencil behind your ear?
No, unless you count staring off into space a writer trait, or sitting in certain places at restaurants so you can people watch or having notebooks and pads of paper everywhere so I can scribble down ideas, or being particular about plots or endings of movies.

Would a stranger walking past you on the street consider you normal?
Normal? A person walking past me probably wouldn't notice me. I'm a gray-haired, moderately dressed, rather round grandmotherly person. Is that normal?

Do your characters vary in accents, appearance and attitude or are they mostly the same?
I love accents and languages. That's often what sets people apart. My stories are character driven. I love making them "real" by giving them unforgettable traits.

Do real people and/or places inspire your writing?
Definitely! I can "escape" into the memory of a place I've been and describe it. I draw from writing ideas from things I've experienced and the people I've known. Everyone has a story. Some are so interesting, I just have to write about them.

What is your favorite character? Or do you choose to remain unbiased in case of a revolt?
I think Zeke in my novel "A Home for Phoebe" is my favorite person. He's funny and generous and loving. Who couldn't love him? I can't say I patterned after one particular person, but a mixture of some of my favorite people.
Do you talk to your characters? Do they talk back?
I wouldn't say that we "talk" to each other, but my characters sometimes react to the plot in ways that I hadn't planned. Sometimes it takes an extra chapter or so to get back on track.

Are you more comfortable with girl or boy main characters?
I'm more comfortable with girl characters. The boys are usually my protectors or antagonists. I suppose that comes from my feelings toward my father, husband, and brothers.

Do you follow basic overused plot lines with new twists thrown in or do you depart from the norm all the time?
I like to make my own plot lines. I'm rather particular about endings. They can't be too predictable or bizarre. I like to leave a little mystery at the end.

Do you feel God has called you to be a writer/poet? Will you grasp the power of the pen?
Yes, I know God is using my writing for His purposes. I pray that I will continue to be sensitive to His leading.
My favorite verse is Psalm 19:14 -
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer."




(borrowed from Christine Bank's blog - With Pen in Hand).

~ ~ ~

4 comments:

Sara Harricharan said...

Ooohooo! (Yes, that is a word) I like this. Maybe I'll try it later today. LOL. Great questions and answers--loved reading more about your 'writer' side. ^_^ ah and you, my dear vonnie, are anything but normal. Interesting, unique and a bazillion other things, but NORMAL?? perish the thought...ROFL. :)

Yvonne Blake said...

Thanks, Sara...I guess!!??

Lynda Schultz said...

Good one, Vonnie. Gotta analyze this one for sure.

Christine M Ramey said...

I laughed at a few of the writer comments as I visualized myself doing the same thing. I don't like being distrated when I am on roll it breaks my consentration for sure. My husband is bad about this! Still, somehow I manage to get my work done!

I am the type to stare at my computer and not be distracted. I love doing my writing at night when my husband as gone off to bed. It is the quiteness that I relish!

I loved this Yvonne! Thanks for sharing a writer's point of view!

Christine M Ramey

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails