"Dear Vonnie" Family Ministering



Each Saturday, I will do my best to answer your questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I know it's not easy being a wife and mother. It can be frustrating and discouraging, yet very rewarding. I'd be glad to listen to you, pray for you, and share some of my thoughts with you.

So, ask me something... anything...



Dear Vonnie,
I’d like my family to do a ministry together to help all of us give more, be thankful, help others. Any ideas?
Signed,
Willing to Serve

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Dear Willing,

I sighed when I read this because this could have been me writing this question. For years, from the early stages of my marriage, these were my thoughts. I dreamed of going on a foreign mission field as a family or starting a church in a remote area, but I couldn't just up and go! My husband had no calling to be a missionary. He is a faithful leader in the church, great husband and father...but not a preacher or missionary.

But...I had this "urge" to do something for the Lord. I talked to my pastor. He said that I needed to be faithful where I was now. I needed to keep that willing spirit, so that if my husband was led to go somewhere, then I would be all ready to go with him. That answer made sense, so I waited.

Proverbs 16: 9
"A man's heart deviseth his way;
but the Lord directeth his steps."


A new church was started in our home town. I protested inwardly. I didn't want to stay here and start a church. I wanted to GO somewhere. God had other plans. *smile* We raised our children and became very involved in our local church's ministries : Sunday School, choir, VBS, cleaning, piano, mowing grass, shoveling snow, etc.

I still hadn't learned. I stil had a discontent attitude. I thought, "Maybe it will be through my children." I encouraged them to sing for special music. There came a time, when I realized that it was ME that wanted THEM to serve. That was wrong. They had to want to do it. I didn't insist anymore. (Occasionally, I'd ask them to think about it and let it go.) Later, they did sing together and helped in VBS and played piano and even preached, but it wasn't of my doing.

We can't know what God wants us to do. Maybe it's just to be a good friend to our neighbor. Maybe it's to pray faithfully for others. Maybe it's to visit those in the nursing home. Maybe it's to babysit for a young mother. God doesn't ask everyone to do some big, visable ministry. Often our work is small and unnoticed, except to Him. We need to be faithful in the little things.

I know someone who is often so ill, she can't get out much. She doesn't have the strength to teach Bible studies or other things she used to do. But, her days are filled with women coming to her. They will call her and visit her, filling her days with constant opportunities to serve the Lord. She didn't look for this ministry; God brought it to her.

I am still learning to "wait on the Lord", to be looking to Him, to be ready to do whatever He bids me do.(Psalm 123:2) When we are close to the Lord, his Spirit will work through us, through our words and actions, even when we don't even know it's happening. We need to offer our lives as "a living sacrifice to him."

Psalm 51:16,17
"For Thou desireth not sacrifice; else would I give it;
Though desirest not in burnt-offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.


Dear Lord, I pray that we will not glory in our works and busy-ness for You, but that we would desire to be so close to You that others will see You in us. Teach us to listen to Your promptings and obey Your voice. In Jesus' Name, Amen

2 comments:

Laury said...

Vonnie, I had a friend like you wrote about. Her nickname was Lootie. She taught me so much at her bedside. She taught me how to live with pain. She showed me by example. When she died, it about devastated me. She had a powerful ministry from her bed that last year of her life. She was an awesome person and I miss her so very much.

Dan and Meredith said...

And again something to think about. We have so many dreams that need to change and be given to the Lord. Hopefully I will remember to let HIM lead my children in His path and not in mine.
Thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails