Love is Believing


Matthew 1:18-25

Poor Joseph!

Can you imagine how he felt when Mary told him that she was having a child? He KNEW it wasn't his. What else was he to think? She must have been unfaithful to him.

He didn't want to put her away. It was the law to have her stoned, but he loved her. He wanted to believe her, but her story was so preposterous. He waited and thought... "but while he thought on these things,behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream..."

I'm sure he was so relieved! Mary had been faithful....VERY FAITHFUL...not just to him, but to God. She was the chosen maiden, the one that would bare the Messiah!

We don't read anything about Mary's parents, but they must have been going through the same emotions. They must have felt the shame of their girl breaking a vow, and then lying about it. How long did it take for them to believe?

"Charity (Love)...beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things." I Corninthians 13:7

Once I dressed my little boy for church, and he asked if he could wait outside for the rest of us. I warned him to not get dirty. Later, I happened to look out the window just in time to see him trip over a rock and fall in a puddle. He came in crying, not because he was hurt, but because he didn't think I'd believe that it was an accident. I realized that I need to believe my children, even if I don't have proof. Children sometimes do lie, but until you can prove that they are not telling the truth, then believe them.

Andy Griffeth said, "I'm not sure I believe in Mr. McPhebe, but know that I believe in Opie."

Do we believe those whom we love, even when their story is hard to believe, when it seems shady and preposterous? Do we trust them? Do we stand by them when all others doubt? Do we risk marring our own reputation? Do we love them that much?

Lord, help us to have confidence in those we love, our spouses, our children, our friends. Teach us to trust You even when things don't make sense. Help us to believe. In Jesus' Name, Amen

2 comments:

Laury said...

This is a very good word, Vonnie. Thanks for sharing:)

Dee Yoder said...

Wow, Vonnie, this is an AWESOME post! I love this and the tie-in with Mary and Joseph. I've thought of this over the years, too...how hard it must have been for all of those who loved her to fully believe her story. (And that episode of Andy Griffith is among my favorites!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails