His Only Son

Genesis 22

This story of God asking Abraham to offer his son, his child of promise, horrifies and puzzles us. How could God do that to Abraham? We know the end of the story. We know that God provided a substitute, but Abraham didn't know... yet, he trusted God's word. He knew that Isaac was the fulfillment of God's promise. He thought God would raise Isaac from the dead... and God could have done it that way.

We think of Isaac. He was not a little child. Abraham was old. Isaac could have refused to be bound and laid on the altar, but he didn't. Abraham must have taught him well to believe God's word. I'm sure there must have been tears of confusion and fear, but Abraham (and Isaac) passed God's test of faith. It tells us so in verse 18, "And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice."

When I learned that Mount Moriah is in Jerusalem, where the temple stands, I was filled with wonder at God's strong focus on that particular spot on this earth. Why there? Why did he choose that spot? We even read that He will rule the earth during the millenium from that same spot.

There is so much symbolism in this story: Abraham picturing God giving His only Son, Isaac picturing Jesus laying down his life, and also the ram (the Lamb of God) being our substitute. I'm sure Abraham didn't know he was part of a symbolic picture of salvation. He only trusted God and obeyed. What a good example to us!

I see symbols of God's character often in my life. Maybe it's the writer in me that sees more than just the things that are happening. I see God's protection, provision, patience, and promise in the way He works in the daily intereractions of my life. I wonder if others see Him in me? Am I obeying His voice, even if I don't understand why?

Lord, teach us to listen to Your voice. Help us to obey, even if our mind says it doesn't make sense. Help us to have faith in Your workings. In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails