Monday Manna - "Who is that Masked Hypocrite?"


My mind needs time to let thoughts sink in. I often need a day or so to apply the truths I learn at church on Sunday. I hope to share these meditations here each week. Feel free to comment or share them with others.

(I hope you can take the time to listen to the sermon link.)

MASKS



Some masks are worn for protection - 

underwater mask
medical mask
welding mask
baseball catcher mask
gas mask


Masks can also give a person a different character. 
A child may wear a mask to pretend he is an animal. 
Some masks are worn for theatrical purposes. 
Comic super heroes wear masks while saving the world - 
or villains, while trying to conquer it.


When a person feels safe behind a false face, they usually act differently than normal. Pranksters on Halloween and Mardi Gras wear masks so they can do mischief anonymously. Criminals wear ski masks to avoid being identified. Many cultures wear masks as part of their tribal ceremonies. 

Sunday's sermon reminded us that very often people wear masks when we want to appear religious. We put on our suits and ties, or dress and high heels. We smile and shake hands and look like the picture-perfect Christian. But if others could see our thoughts, or how we act at home, our invisible masks would be made evident. 

God sees our inner heart.
He knows our motives.
He hear our thoughts. 
He sees beyond our masks.



May we pray, like David, 

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; 
try me, and know my thoughts." (Psalm 139:23)
 "Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts." (Psalm 51:5)




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails