Fanny Crosby Songs

 Francis Jane "Fanny" Crosby  (1820-1915) became blind at 6 months of age, but lived a long life of love and ministry to her Lord. Even as a child, she accepted God's will that she be blind and used it to "see" Him in other ways.



"It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank Him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow, I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me."



(her first poem - age 8)

O happy soul am I!
Although I cannot see,
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.

How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't;
To weep and sigh because I'm blind
I cannot nor I won't.


Once a preacher sympathetically remarked, "I think it is a great pity that the Master did not give you sight when He showered so many other gifts upon you." 

She replied quickly, "Do you know that if at birth I had been able to make one petition, it would have been that I should be born blind?" 

"Why?" asked the surprised minister. 

"Because when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior!" 


You probably know many of Fanny Crosby's writings than you think. ("To God be the Glory," "Blessed Redeemer," "Rescue the Perishing," "My Savior, First of All" )There were times in her life when she was writing multiple poems each day. She wrote so many hymns that she had to use psuedonyms (or pen names) so that hymnals would not be dominated by one name.

This last Sunday, we sang a new song from our hymnal. What depth of meaning it contained!

"I am praying, blessed Savior, 
To be more and more like Thee;
I am praying that Thy Spirit
Like a dove may rest on me.

(chorus)
Thou who knowest all my weakness,
Thou who knowest all my care,
While I plead each precious promise,
Hear, oh hear, and answer prayer.

I am praying, blessed Savior, 
For a faith so clear and bright
That its eye will see Thy Glory
Through the deepest, darkest night.
(chorus)

I am praying to be humbled 
By the power of grace divine,
To be clothed upon with meekness, 
And to have no will but Thine.
(chorus)

I am praying, blessed Savior,
And my constant prayer shall be,
For a perfect consecration,
That shall make me more like Thee.
(chorus)"


(CLICK HERE - to hear a simple singing of this wonderful song) 
(I love the Scottish accent.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails