"Don't you know me?"



I invite you to join me in learning John 14. Each week I plan to learn a new verse. I will "recite" what I have learned before and give a short study of the next verse. You may email your "recitation" to me or put it as a comment below the post. I am using the KJV. If you use another, please let me know.

(without looking at my Bible)
John 14:1-8
1. "Let not your heart be troubled;
ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2. In my Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you; I go to prepare a place for you.
3. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself,
that where I am, there ye may be also.
4. And whither I go, ye know, and the way ye know."
5. Thomas saith unto him, "We know not whither thou goest, and how can we know the way?"
6. Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me.
7. "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also, and from henceforth ye know my Father and have seen him."
8. Philip saith unto him, "Lord, shew us the Father,
and it sufficeth us."

CORRECTIONS: (vs. 6 "know Him")



NEW VERSE
John 14:9
"Jesus saith unto him, 'Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then,
Shew us the Father?'"

Have you ever been surprised by something your spouse or a friend did? You thought you knew them. After all that time, you thought you knew their favorite foods or music. You thought you knew their phobias and peeves. Then they do something that completely shocks you. You thought you knew them after living with them for such a long time.

For three years, day and night, Jesus walked and slept and eaten and lived with his disciples. They saw him walk on the water and calm the storm, heal the sick and feed the hungry. They heard him teach of the kingdom of heaven. They felt his love and saw his righteous anger.
They heard his voice and felt his touch.

Yet, the disciples still did not realize who Jesus really was. They did not realize that He was the God of creation, the God of Abraham, the God of David and Daniel.
The disciples didn't really know Him.

Do we see Jesus as God? Yes, He is our Friend and elder Brother, but Jesus is our God. He is the same God that parted the Red Sea and knocked down the walls of Jericho and delivered the Hebrews from the fiery furnace. He is the God that filled the Holy of Holies in the tabernacle and made Isaiah bow in speechless humility. Do we worship Jesus as our God?

"And the Word of God was made flesh and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)full of grace and truth." John 1:14

Emmanuel, God with us. What a wonderful thought!

GOD WITH US

Shekinah glory shining so bright,
Filling the temple, pillar by night.
Secure with God’s presence leading the way,
Guiding, protecting day by day.

Do not fear,
Our God is near.
Immanuel,
With us to dwell.

O, weary hearts, crying “How long?”
Be of good courage, only be strong.
Humble your hearts, turn from sin,
Behold your Messiah, God's promise to man.

Do not fear,
Our God is near.
Immanuel,
With us to dwell.

Born of a woman, Christ came to earth;
Almighty joined Adam in holy birth.
Sing “Glory to God,” ye angels on high,
Wonder of wonders, God is nigh!

Do not fear,
Our God is near.
Immanuel,
With us to dwell.

Comforting Spirit, dwelling within,
Giving the faithful vict'ry o'er sin;
The trumpet will sound, with Him we'll dwell,
Forever and ever, Immanuel

Do not fear,
Our God is near.
Immanuel,
With us to dwell.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails