Two Baby Trials



I think the hardest time for a young mother is when a newborn comes into the home and the previous child is still a baby.

You are caring for your newborn, feeding...burping...changing diapers...,but your other little one still likes to cuddle in your lap. He still crawls more than walks. He still needs help at mealtimes. He still can't talk very much. He still can't dress himself. He gets into places he doesn't belong.
It's enough to drive a person crazy!

Yes, this time is hard...but it won't last. You'll get through it.

I always gave the older sibling their own "baby"...yes, even the boys got a baby doll. When I was nursing my newborn and my toddler wanted attention, I'd give them their baby to feed with a toy bottle. (sometimes they'd lift their shirt to "nurse") As soon as the little one was asleep, I'd make sure to take time to cuddle and read with my toddler. He especially needs to feel wanted and loved at this time.

For about a month (or until the newborn is on a regular sleeping/eating schedule) don't plan to do anything else but love your babies. The house may be a mess. You may not get outside except for doctor check-ups. It doesn't matter. Take up any offers for help...shopping, cleaning, babysitting, etc. You need this time with your babies. You need to regain your strength and try to keep your family happy and loved.



Here's a poem that I've loved.
(especially since I found it when my 5th child was born)

Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.


So to any mother who is feeling overwhelmed, don't worry about what others think. Let the world go on without you. Caring for your babies is the most important thing you can do. If it means living in your pj's and eating sandwiches...
If it means having others do your shopping and laundry...
If it means feeling like a rag doll because you haven't showered
or slept well for days...
So What?
It's not the end of the world.



You'll be back in the middle of things soon enough.
This time won't last forever.
Snuggle in your favorite chair with those little ones, and give them an extra kiss for me!

(PS: To the dads... give your wife lots of TLC. She needs it!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful post!
andrea

Lydia said...

You did a great job, Mama! We always felt loved!
Lydia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails