Turning Around



Memorizing God's Word makes it part of our life. It teaches us, comforts us, and keeps us from sin. Will you join me in hiding God's Word in our hearts?

In the following weeks, I hope to memorize Isaiah 55. It is a beautiful message of God's greatness and love toward us. Each week, I will recite what we have learned so far and discuss the meaning of the next verse. I'd love to have you join me in this challenge. You may "recite" in the comments or by email. If you can't say all of them, say just one at a time.

(without looking at my Bible, unless I get stuck)
Isaiah 55:1-6)
1. Ho, everyone that thirsteth, come to the waters; and he that hath no money, come ye buy and eat; yea, come buy wine and milk, without money and without price.
2. Wherefore do ye buy that which is not bread? and your labor for that which satisfieth not? Hearken diligently unto me and eat that which is good and let your soul delight itself in fatness.
3. Incline your ear and come unto me; hear and your soul shall live; I have made a covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
4. Behold, I have given him as a witness to the people, a leader and a commander to the people.
5. Behold thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that know not thee shall run unto thee because of the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, for He shall glorify thee.
6. Seek ye the Lord, while He may be found; call ye upon Him while He is near.

CORRECTIONS: (looked 4 times; vs.1 "ye"; vs.2 "spend money","ye"; vs.3 "everlasting"; vs. "for"; vs.5 "knew", "hath")



NEW VERSE
Isaiah 55:7
"Let the wicked forsake his way, and let the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God for He will abundantly pardon."

We may say to ourselves,
"I'm not wicked. This verse isn't talking about me."

The Bible clearly tells us that we have all gone our own way. All have sinned. There is none righteous, no not one. (Isaiah 53:6, Rom. 3:23, Rom.3:10)

"But I haven't stolen or killed anyone.
I'm polite and obey the laws."

The Bible says that if we know something is good to do and we don't do it, then that is sin. (James 4:17) God knows our thoughts. He knows when we are thinking in hatred or pride or jealousy. We are what we think. (Prov. 23:7)That's pretty grim, isn't it?

But...the rest of the verse is full of hope. We have a God that will show mercy and pardon to those who turn away from their sin. He is a faithful and just God. (I John 1:9) He is waiting for us to turn around.

Even after we have received His gift of salvation and eternal life, when we belong to His family, we still sin. Our old nature draws us away from His will. But when we listen to His voice pricking our consciences and turn from it, He is there welcoming His sheep back to the fold. (Luke 15)

I love the story of the prodigal son. My favorite scene is when the father sees him afar off and runs toward him and greets him with hugs and kisses.
Our Father is waiting for us to return to Him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails