Dear Vonnie - Summer Snacks



Each Thursday, I will do my best to answer your questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I know it's not easy being a wife and mother. It can be frustrating and discouraging, yet very rewarding. I'd be glad to listen to you, pray for you, and share some of my thoughts with you.

So, ask me something... anything...



Dear Vonnie,

Do you have any summer healthy snacks you remember giving the kids?

Signed,
Too Hot to Bake



When the temperatures are reaching the 80's, 90's, or the 100 mark, no one wants to bake cookies. When my kids were home, they were always hungry. Yet, I didn't want them filling up on empty, high calorie foods.



First of all, we didn't buy chips and sugary treats. I tried to have plenty of fruits around: apples, grapes, strawberries, cherries. (the more colors the better)
I often cut up carrots and celery and bell peppers into bite-size pieces and toss a couple ice cubes in the container to keep them crisp.



We froze juice into popsicles. Jello and pudding make good popsicles too. You can make fruity iced tea from berry teas; add wedges of lemon to give it tang. Make your own favorite smoothies with bananas, peaches, avocadoes, strawberries, melons, etc.

There are some good recipes on Tip Me Off , my daughter's blog for household money-saving tips.



I like to freeze bite-size chunks of watermelon and cantaloupe. Grapes taste great frozen also. Frozen blueberries with a little milk and sugar make a nice, slushy dessert.



You can sandwich a scoop of ice cream between two cookies. Experiment with different combinations. In fact, for a special treat on a very hot day, have a strawberry shortcake or banana split supper.



When you go to the grocery store, think cold, think fresh. Have a great summer!

1 comment:

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Avacado smoothie? Sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe?

smooches,
Larie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails