Kid's Day: Sea Shore

There's something wonderful about spending a day at the beach. Maybe it's the vastness of the ocean or the sound of the waves brushing the sand or adventure of discovering things along the shore.

"At The Seaside"
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup,
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.


Sears Island is only a mile from our house. When my husband was young, they often camped there. It was only accessible during low tide. For a few years, I was able to enjoy the sensation of being cut off from the busy life of the mainland. Everytime we walk around the island, it has changed. The winter storms and waves and eroded the rocks and shoreline a little bit more. Rocks have been moved and huge timbers have washed ashore. In the middle of the island, old rockwalls and paths tell of a time long forgotten. It's a new and wondrous place to be.

I know there are many children who live in the central part of the United States and have never seen the ocean. I hope that you can someday visit an aquarium or hold a shell to your ear or dig a hole in some sand. It's not quite like being on a the sea shore, but at least you'd get a taste of it.

2 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

Sounds so beautiful and renewing. YOu make me want to hop on a broom right now and fly over... ;)

Joanne Sher said...

The ocean IS wonderful - I love lakes too - especially the big ones. Definitely does sound lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails